The helmet was by far the trickiest part of the build. Funny thing is, it’s the first thing I started and the last to get finished. We were even fixing it on the way down to the Hall Contest Table at CONvergence. There’s a fair amount of detail required. FYI, the electronics will be covered in its own post. I need to gather up the resources Tom used for the electronics.

Some of the carved designs are not screen accurate. Frankly, I fudged a lot of it  I didn’t have enough reference photos to work off of, so I replicated the larger artifacts and made the rest of it up. With the Con Crunch looming, there was a huge time crunch.

The Horus headpiece was Tom’s masterwork. The pepakura model was covered in several layers of paper mache, following by many, many… uh, many… coats of Bondo. The result was a beautiful piece of art. Unfortunately, the Bondo made it fairly heavy we had to come up with a mounting solution. We used a large cell phone mounting plate and seriously strong neodymium rare earth magnets. This will be outline in the electronics post.

 

Here’s a happy shot of me while we decided where to trim the foam extensions.

Here are action shots, of the helmet in progress, after the face shield was added. Face shield is reinforced with aluminum bars to hold its shape. Without an eye screen, it actually makes a fairly sturdy handle for carrying.

Carving designs and feature detail. Unwanted gaps were filled with Kwik Seal. For some reason, I’m particularly fond of the scarab I carved at the bottom of the helmet (middle-bottom photo below). The lines were cut lightly, then hit with a heat gun to open the lines. I went over them with a woodburning tool (or a solder iron in some of the other steps). I bought a separate woodburning tool because I got tired of cleaning and re-tinning my solder tips.

I used sketches like these to cut out the shapes needed. I cut out the pattern and transferred it to 2MM EVA Foam. The ‘scalloped’ portions helmet were hand sketched as well. I drew half of the pattern on a folded sheet of paper and then used a glass-top desk as a make-shift light table. I also learned that if you do it in pencil, you can transfer the pattern to foam by pressing the paper into it, sketch-side down.